9 February 2014

The path to glory starts here

I have finished my starting warband for the RoC narrative campaign that Chris and I are kicking off next Saturday. Yes, that's finished* a project, which is unusual for me - see the header to this blog!

The fifth member of the crew does double duty for my determination to make this band as chaotic as possible; it is not only not a Citadel miniature (of any vintage - it's Grenadier) but it isn't actually a beastman (it's a hairy orc)!

I tried to go for an albino-inspired colour theme: white fur with a bit of pink added to the base coat (although I think I've lost that with later washes), and pink-hued skin, blending to very pale flesh while keeping a contrast with the fur. The shield was moulded on and has given me the warband symbol nicely. I will use the same image on any other shields I need to paint, mainly because it's easy and will give a coherency to disparate models.




Blown up to three or four times life-size, I see the symbol on the shield is less sharply defined than I'd like. A job for this evening. 

Ok, on to the by-now traditional warband group photo. On three, everyone say "Tzeentch"


Ready for action!

Looking over the post-game tables I see to my collector's delight and completist's horror that the warband can get bigger! So, more chaos. Lined up and ready for priming are a Lord of Change (jazz hands for the god of change!) and a wereboar (manufacturer unknown) that I've given a great big sword from a large scale gladiator. I had to resculpt his hands and that went quite well, so I might even get back to work on the Chaos Swan (TM) with a certain degree of confidence soon. As for future beastmen, as that seems the most likely set of new recruits, I'm going to spread the net wider still (unless anyone has some preslotta broo or early Perry beastmen they want to donate to the cause). Ral Partha still casts the old Fantasy Warrior and Das Shwarze Auge figures that include several 90s GW-style ram and goat men but also some interesting lizard, wolf, cat and toad people that would mix in to my eclectic little bunch rather well. It will be nice to know what I'm going to pay, rather than hours of surfing ebay for no certain reward.

Grab your dice, men, and prepare to wreak make-believe carnage with funny-shaped little toy soldiers!

Rab





(*) Well, obviously they're not varnished yet and I still have to paint a shield for the boarman, but I still claim completion!

8 comments:

  1. I hate to p**s on your parade, but can a RoC warband ever truly be considered 'finished' (except when they've all been slain)? Nevertheless you've put together and painted a characterful bunch of models, whom I'm sure will prove doughty fighters on the tabletop. I presume you will recount their exploits here? If so I look forward to being regaled with tales of heroism, treachery and, er, hairy orcs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang on a sec, Gareth, I'l just grab my umbrella - the weather's turned nasty ;)

      You're quite right, though, "complete" is a silly word to use for a RoC warband and I am rather looking forward to seeing how the fortunes of war and post-game dice determine their future. Fear not, full (and completely impartial ) reports will show up here, hairy orcs and all.

      Delete
  2. Nice collection especially the non citadel lead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they were fun to choose and paint.

      Delete
  3. You have a lord of change in your warband? Ermm challenge withdrawn...Or maybe I should just suck it up and get murderiesd, look forward to seeing everything i a game it all looks good in silico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite! The champ has one trapped inside his sword. I'm definitely up for a game at some point.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I'm really impressed and look forward to the wereboar and daemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Spooktalker. After today's first outing, though (write-up to follow), it's going to be a while before my now even littler band needs any new followers. Tzeentch is a fickle patron....

      Delete