19 November 2014

Manuscript theme take 2 - now with removed colour!

First of all, thank you to everyone who took the time to give such positive and constructive feedback on my last post about art. A combination of stylistic commentary, practical "which button to press" guidance, and a little while fiddling around with the graphics tablet I've borrowed from work means I have an updated coloured version, now with 50% less colour. Less is more and all that...



Actually, I have two for you; the first with less paint, the second with more.



Which do you like better? First or second?

I also meant to say that the "Round Table Games" logo from last time is pretty old and I plan to redo it, and that I've set up a Facebook page for mini updates like this that don't really deserve a whole post. It can be found at: Round Table Games and you'd be very welcome to like, share, follow or whatever it is the cool kids do these days!

Thanks,
Rab

14 comments:

  1. Hmm, both very nice version, but I think I like the first (lighter colored) version a bit better. More is less holds true many times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean - I'm going to hold back on which I prefer (and I do have a favourite!) until I've had a few more comments, but I think both are better than my previous coloured attempt.

      Delete
  2. Yup, first one for me, feels more authentic, dunno, just gut feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First for me too,it just seems to work better,be more evocative of times past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool - "times past" is what I want to evoke

      Delete
  4. Well, gentlemen, unless there is a sudden late surge in counter opinion, everyone who has commented here, on FB, or in person likes the first image better. Me included! I guess that means Knights' Quest now has a defined graphic style - hurrah!

    Thank you all for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me the only problem with the lighter, more aged, version is that the metal and the blue/ yellow may be too light. I like the grey look of the armor, it's too blue in the light version. I think the red toned down nicely, but the blue and yellow a tad too much. I also think that your "brush" stokes for the water color effect are excellent and I would encourage you to figure out a balance with the settings so it is preserved. Definitely the right look and totally subjective at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - the metal need to be more grey but, having looked at my photoshop image again, I think some of that comes from compression to smaller jpg for putting online. I'll hit the blue and yellow with one more gentle wash and see if it keeps the character of the image which seems so popular, while putting a bit more depth into it. I'm enjoying playing with this picture, if truth be told, but I really should get on with some more sketching!

      Delete
  6. I like to take the opposite... Second one for me!
    (Even with a bit more color)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Controversial! I'll see if I can include a couple of more heavily coloured pieces just for you :)

      Delete
  7. I think the lighter one looks great. Nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it because it was your observation that got me to rethink how I was applying the colour.

      Delete