14 December 2015

Deadcember the 14th

In the bleak midwinter,
skeletons did moan...

I found a bit of time last night to finish the most recent stage in this unit painting malarkey I've undertaken for this month. Even a simple thing like giving an inkwash to the bases takes quite a while - not a complaint, merely an observation from someone new to batch painting of more than one or two figures at a time!

Stage 6 - metal washed with Army Painter ink "Dark Tone", bases painted with GW "Graveyard Earth" then washed with Army Painter ink "Strong Tone", spearshafts highlighted with Foundry 72C - "Musket stock brown"

The next steps are to tarnish the metal, give a final drybrush to the bone and the bases (I'll probably use the same colour for both - Foundry Boneyard 8C), neaten any spoiled bits, paint the belts, then a tie-it-all-together wash of Army Painter ink "Soft Tone" thinned with a spot of water and some Vallejo Matt Medium. Then it will be the detail on the command group (cloak, some gold/brass detail, the drum, a magic sword for the leader in cold blue tones) and final tittivating of the the bases.

It has taken a while on each stage, but being so close to having twenty four figures painted in 13 days (and I only painted on six or seven of them!) is something close to magical for a slow painter like myself. For things like skeletons at least, I'm a total convert to batch painting - it's so efficient!

Have a good week,
Rab

4 comments:

  1. Taylorism applied to models can be really rewarding at times and it seems it works quite well for you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was confused at first, thinking you meant Pete Taylor, but then realised you meant the work flow and efficiency thing! I'm glad you approve of my output :)

      Delete
  2. I find I tend to get bored with batches much larger than 10 at a go, so good on you for pushing through with 24.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I normally start with six or seven and then just do them one at a time after the first couple of stages. I've taken my first step into a wider universe ;)

      Delete